Friday, May 4, 2007

Unappreciative Little Kids...

So, Bob Dylan is one of my favorite singers, songwriters, lyricists ever as I'm sure he is to many people. He's rightfully known as a living legend and has influenced a whole generation of musicians and probably will in the future as well. Even I referenced "Lay Lady Lay" in our song City Lights, in the first verse, "I knew I should have told you I was gonna leave your brass bed." After all, the girl I'm talking about in that verse wasn't going to show me colors in her mind and I certainly wasn't going to make them shine. She's the reason I was travelin' on.

Anyway, I wanted to just establish the amount of respect and influence that Bob Dylan has played in my life. Today, I read that he's been playing little impromptu shows in his grandson's kindergarten class and the kids are, ahem, less than appreciative. To quote the article, "The kids have been coming home and telling their parents about the weird man who keeps coming to class to sing scary songs on his guitar. He's been visiting the school just for fun, but the kids don't appreciate they are in the presence of a musical legend. They just think of him as the weird guitar guy." I thought that was hilarious, but if my kid came home and said that, I would make him or her watch Don't Look Back and listen to Highway 61 Revisited over and over until he or she appreciated Bob Dylan.

The Freescarin' Bob Dylan

But then, I looked at a picture of Bob Dylan and maybe felt the kids might be justified...

Just goes to show, don't judge a book by its grizzled, nasal voiced cover.

-Z

No comments: